Saturday, August 29, 2009

Book Challenge


I have checked out some books from the library. I will attempt to read them all the way through- as opposed to reading a few pages and then just looking at the pretty covers while they sit on a table. I grabbed these books rather quickly yesterday, had only an hour on the meter and kid's books to search for. Oh, hey! I just remembered I finished one yesterday!

I have discovered the brand new Graphic Novel section in the library and I always try to check out what new things they have. I've been so curious about them and I've never known where to start. So the library is perfect for trying them out. I've already read "French Milk" by Lucy Knisley which was a sweet travelogue of a college age girl's trip to Paris with her mother. It was drawn in simple black and white, with a few photos thrown in, lots of drawings and descriptions of food! Yesterday I sat down and read "The Eternal Smile" by Gene Luen Yang and Derek Kirk Kim. It was a pretty quick read, three stories- all entertaining. Each drawn in a separate comic style. Each story had a little twist, that turned them from slightly ho-hum to delightful. I also checked out "Berlin, City of Stones" by Jason Lutes. It's very good so far, set in Berlin, between the wars, it follows the lives of an artist and a journalist, it looks to be very compelling. It's drawn in black and white, traditional comic style. I have to learn the proper names for these. I've been enjoying graphic novels- they are easier to jump into than traditional novels, when I don't have a lot of time. They suck me in faster. The visual style sets it all up, there doesn't have to be descriptions of what things look like, where things are located- it's all just there- drawn out for you. Not that I don't enjoy that element of reading- creating pictures in my mind. But quite honestly- sometimes my brain is too tired.

The other books I grabbed in haste after being attracted by the cover (yes, that's what I look at first) and then quickly reading synopsis on jackets... and yes, they were in the bestseller section. I can't just run into the aisles- without looking for something specific:

"Sunnyside" by Glen David Gold

I realized later, I had seen ads for "Sunnyside" and "The Girl..." in the New Yorker. I always earmark those pages and never follow through. I guess I had stored them in my brain. I know that "The Girl..." is not my usual fair, but it's been so lauded and promoted- I thought I might give it a try- or at least pass it on to Mark. I was inspired to grab the Jane Austen book after listening to the Penguin Classic Book podcast- regarding the undying love for Jane Austen by human beings everywhere.

I'll let you know if I actually read any of them.

No comments: