Thursday, August 27, 2009

15 Movie Game

From Facebook... Pick 15 movies off the top of your head. I did without much thinking and came up with this list. Then I tried to sort it out.

1. Flirting With Disaster
2. My Man Godfrey
3. The Awful Truth
4. Rushmore
5. Desperately Seeking Susan
6. The More The Merrier
7. Now, Voyager
8. Laurence of Arabia
9. Something Wild
10. Mildred Pierce
11. Raising Arizona
12. Amelie
13. Please Don't Eat the Daisies
14. Blue Velvet
15. A Room With A View

Movies are like old friends. I enjoy watching movies repeatedly, it's like reminiscing. I collect classic movies and love so many of them. These are the movies that rose to the top in my brain for better or worse. Many are from my youth and formed my future tastes. There are no recent movies on this list- it takes a while for a movie to sink into my brain. So if I just saw it last weekend, even if I thought it was profound, it won't be in my memory bank yet.

1. My desert island movie. I love the comedy, I love Tea Leoni, Mary Tyler Moore, Richard Jenkins. "Is this a musical table?"
2. Profound feelings come from this movie- just a lighthearted romp about the Depression. Carole Lombard + William Powell = Near Perfection.
3. The funniest movie about divorce you'll ever see. Irene Dunne is a revelation- funny and modern in a way you don't often see in classic movies. Cary Grant sparkles.
4. I adore this movie- the music, the pacing, the set design and Max, the lovable delinquent who stages Serpico as his school play. Also highlights the art of calligraphy!
5. This movie shaped my youth. I wanted to be Susan (not Madonna- although were they different?) Actually, I think I wanted to be Roberta (Rosanna Arquette,) who escaped her mundane existence to become a cool NYC hipster. I gained many fashion tips from this movie.
6. My very favorite romantic comedy. This movie caused me to become obsessed with Joel McCrea and Jean Arthur- chemistry like you've never seen before.
7. My first honest viewing of Bette Davis- this movie is amazing. Sure it's a bit hokey, but if you aren't crying at the end, you're made of wood! "Oh Jerry, don't let's ask for the moon. We have the stars".
8. The first time I saw this movie was on the big screen. I will never, ever forget the sight of Peter O' Toole's blue eyes coming over the top of the desert sand. SO beautiful.
9. I saw this when I was 18 years old. I wanted to be Lulu (Melanie Griffith) -without the larceny, sluttiness and alcohol abuse. A free spirit. And I wanted to marry Charlie (Jeff Daniels) -an extremely decent man. Which, I kind of did.
10. If you haven't seen this movie- do yourself a favor and do. This is Joan Crawford at her finest. Forget about Mommie Dearest- this is the real deal.
11. One of the funniest movies of all time. It follows the screwball format and goes even further. "Hi! You better go in there and get me one of those toddlers!"
12. A perfect movie, perfect casting, perfect music, enchanting story. I could watch it every day.
13. This movie sticks in my head as my first real Doris Day encounter. Her voice is the most soothing one in history to me. She is an awesome mom (in the movie) and a real lady (in real life.)
14. This movie got into my bloodstream when I saw it. I became a huge David Lynch fan and saw everything he did. But one day I woke up and thought- why? Degradation, even if done stylishly is not to my liking anymore. I can still appreciate it's qualities, but I don't think I could enjoy it like I used to. Think it's the kids.
15. This is my favorite E.M. Forrester adaptation. So full of beauty, love and light- perfect to watch and escape dreariness. The antidote to David Lynch perhaps?

No comments: