Thursday, May 07, 2009

Too much nature

All this nature is starting to freak me out. Yesterday it was hawk-mockingbird wars. Then we discovered that the pile of wings and bloody remains in our yard were probably from a mockingbird, meaning that the hawk had already eaten one unfortunate soul. That's why he was just sitting there in our yard letting the other birds peck at him. He was eating and he wasn't going to be bothered. Thank goodness this morning, I saw both Mabel and Marvin show up and sit next to each other on the wire above their nest. I was so happy to see them and told them so. They just looked at me.

Then later this morning we came across this:


A turtle digging and apparently laying eggs right out in the open by our back gate. It was a pretty big turtle and seemed totally undisturbed by us watching it as it dug. I looked up turtle egg gestation and it's around 60-90 days. So we'll keep an eye out. Though, I have a feeling the raccoons who like to use our back yard as a latrine will soon sniff them out and have a snack.

It's like Mutual of Omaha around here. Anyone remember that show? So just when I thought I was finally safe and ensconced in the house from nature... I opened the garage door to find this:


I was horrified. Snakes are okay out in the yard but not in my garage where I walk barefoot and do the laundry. Mickey just stood there and would not come in the house. I knew Minnie would soon run out there and grab the snake and bring it in, she's done it before. So I slammed the door shut (and then got the camera.) I coaxed Mickey into the house and then I tried to pick the snake up with our handy broom and stick dustpan. I've done it before, when I absolutely had to get a snake out of the kitchen. I tried to scoop up the snake, but it started coming up the steps toward me! I was screaming and trying to stop it, but it wouldn't stop!!! Then I started pushing it back down the steps with the broom and it finally slithered off under the washing machine! I pray that it doesn't die under there, because we have learned that snakes smell very bad when they die in a hot garage. It didn't look injured, so I hope it is smart enough to get back outside under the garage door. I will be freaking out every time I do laundry now.

I don't think I would do well living out in the woods or something. This is why I don't like camping. I love nature and animals, but I like them outside, not inside my home- being nice and not killing each other in front of me! This happens to me each year I realize, when I spend a lot of time outdoors. I just get plain freaked out by nature.

No comments: