Wednesday, May 06, 2009

I'm just passing through

That's what this little boy named Carlos said to me today. I was at school collecting art for our second annual all school art show. I have spent the past few weeks meeting with each and every child asking them to pick their favorite piece of art to display from a year's worth of work. It has been fun meeting all the kids, except one fifth grade class- who were particularly difficult. And in the end I felt bad for them, all having been pegged as behavior problems. But today, Carlos took me aback. I asked him to pick his favorite piece and he said "I won't be participating in the art show" (He's in third grade.) I told him this was an art show for everyone and that he didn't have to come that night if he didn't want to. Maybe he thought he had to be there. Anyway, he then said "I'm just passing through." He kept saying it. Then he said his mother wouldn't come on a Friday night because she has something she always does- I didn't understand the word he used. He eventually just wandered off and I didn't notice at first because a bunch of other kids had gathered around me. When I noticed I called him up and told him he could take all his artwork home, he wouldn't take it. I asked if he was sure he didn't want me to pick something for the show. He again said "I'm just passing through." Finally, I just picked something and forced his folder into his hand as he left the class with the others. I think he said it again as he was going out the door. "I'm just passing through."

No comments: