Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Baby Birds!


Cardinal hatchilings, originally uploaded by bossamama.

These aren't Mabel and Marvin's eggs, they still haven't hatched. I found another nest in the backyard yesterday! These are cardinal hatchlings and they are in a nest in our orange tree. I was in the backyard and I heard the distinct cry of baby birds- I investigated and found these guys. Mark came out and stood in a chair to take this picture. I was too scared that the parents would come and attack me- although cardinals don't seem to be too worried about people. They just watched us as we stuck our heads near the nest and came to check on them when we left. Baby birds aren't too awfully cute at first, in fact if I found one of these creatures in my house, I'd probably scream and freak out. They look the most dinosaur-like at this stage! I think this picture is sideways, but I have a headache and I can't focus very well right this minute. It does look to me as if the mama has brought them a dill pickle though- doesn't it?

1 comment:

casa M said...

wow, I think if you've got the Mama and Papa cardinals, you've got them for their lives. We had a pair that used to come every year, but I never got to see babies! You are so very lucky.