Tuesday, October 06, 2009

Beatrix Potter-palooza!

This is for all you Potter fans- Beatrix- not Harry. Last night I was browsing the classical music section on iTunes. I was looking for new dance music for the girls. I found a collection of ballet music that included selections from something I had never heard of- The Tales of Beatrix Potter Ballet.

I couldn't believe it!!! How have I not known about this??? Did you know, and why didn't you tell me? The music was delightful and charming, I immediately found the whole ballet and bought it. Then I searched youtube to see if there was a video sample. Glorious day! I found many. The ballet was originally composed for a TV version in the UK in 1971. Later it was adapted and performed on the stage. Here is a sample of the stage version:



I mean COME ON! I thought I had seen the most adorable Beatrix Potter adaptation with the animated series as seen here... The Tale of Two Bad Mice. But this ballet is just over the top, I could hardly take it last night as I was watching it with the girls. I was squealing with delight as each new character appeared. The TV version is even more delightful because of the sets and lighting- (I tried to embed this but couldn't) Here I present to you my dream come true-- the dancing squirrels of Squirrel Nutkin! You can get the whole 1971 TV show on Netflix. Ours is coming this week!!! EEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!

No comments: