Tuesday, July 14, 2009

More Music

I've been greatly anticipating the latest project from Stuart Murdoch- creator of Belle & Sebastian. I fell head over heals with this music a few years back, but just a few years late of their arrival. Somehow I missed the premiere- I think they came out when I was deeply immersed in Duke Ellington. The music is an extension of my beloved Smiths- which I feel was engrained on my DNA through so many nights of listening to The Queen is Dead over and over my year after high school graduation.

Now, Stuart Murdoch has created God Save the Girl, which at the outset seems to simply be Belle & Sebastian sung by girls. But it's a bit more than that. It is the music for a film that Murdoch is creating. The songs tell a story. And I don't understand how he does it, but he channels the mind of a young girl. That young girl that was sitting in my room 20 some years ago, pining, melancholy sometimes- but generally carefree, on the cusp of life-before car payments, before college, before marriage and children. Such a sweet time, but not very recognizable while one is immersed in it.

To get a real feel for the whole project, you can listen to the entire album here.

No comments: