Sunday, January 25, 2009

Another word about the Inauguration

After my heady week of watching non-stop Inaugural coverage, I'm ready to get back to work.  I swear, I just got weepier with each moment.  Maybe it was that I was tired.  One night I watched "The Daily Show" and found John Oliver making fun of Obama.  I didn't like it.  I didn't like it one bit, then I suddenly felt a shock of realization- is this what it felt like for Bush followers all these years?  Have I become a blind follower of what one person in the NYT called a "demagogue?"  I have to be honest, I had to look that up.  I mean sure I've heard that word a million times, but did I really know what it means?  I guess not- "a political leader who seeks support by appealing to popular desires and prejudices rather than by using rational argument."  But-- also in ancient Greece and Rome- "a leader or orator who espoused the cause of the common people."  So yeah.  I guess that could describe Obama, you could take it as a negative or a positive.  By the way, it's about time the spellcheckers of the world added Obama to their lists of correctly spelled words!  Just type it and see what I mean.

No comments: