Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Secret Garden


There is a yard in my neighborhood, with a mysterious front garden.  The house is shaded with oaks and the yard is dark and hard to see. There is a picket fence with an arbor entrance, begging me to peek.  I drive by with my bicycle slowly, hoping to steal longer glances each time.  I see colorful things hanging from the trees.  I know it must be cultivated somehow in there.  There is no grass, just lots of big growing things.  I want to go in there so badly to explore!  My yard, on the other hand, is bright and sunny and there is no mystery.  It's all out for you to see, from whatever direction you are coming.  When I think of the other house and garden, I am reminded of "The Secret Garden" and the moment when the children first discover the locked, walled-off, overgrown mess.  It looks awful at first, but soon they will spy some roses and slowly discover the former beauty of the garden. What a find that would be!  I think that this house I pass by might be just as intriguing.  I would never have the guts to sneak in-  and it might be disappointing to discover nothing much going on anyway. Maybe best to leave the mystery in the darkness and overgrown vines.

No comments: