Monday, December 07, 2009

Don't want to leave out Nellie

About a month ago, I turned on Fresh Air and was delighted to hear an interview with one of my favorite singers, Nellie McKay. I almost slammed on the brakes and screamed when I heard what her latest record is- a tribute to Doris Day. I love Doris so very, very much and I think Nellie McKay is one of the most interesting young singers out there right now. She does a cabaret style that hearkens back to Blossom Dearie. But Nellie also sings about feminism and crime in New York amongst other things (she also occasionally raps.) She is charming, seems quite intelligent and is definitely very musically talented. The songs on the album are a dedication to Miss Day, her endless appeal and magical talent with a song. Nellie arranged the songs- keeping them fresh and adding her own touch without taking them too far from their original. This song is actually one of my favorite Bossa Nova songs by Antonio Carlos Jobim- so it's double the fun for me! Take a listen for yourself...

No comments: