Wednesday, July 09, 2008

Yummy Fish


Yummy, originally uploaded by bossamama.

I used to be a full-on vegetarian. But during my first pregnancy, I had this uncontrollable urge to eat fish. Ever since then the whole family has eaten fish along with me. After many years and many freaked out moments (I still have a hard time with the whole this was once alive thing) I have learned many ways to cook tasty fish. My darling husband tells me he likes my fish more than any restaurant's. It's actually the easiest thing to cook, now that I know how. Here is a recipe I have been stuck on lately, you can use just about any kind of fish, I think. I usually use tilapia or salmon. I got it off the internet, but adapted it a bit and now just do it from memory. I changed it enough to make it my own. If you can even call it a recipe, it's so simple.

Panko Fish
You need a fish filet of some sort or several if small
Also need:
Panko bread crumbs (panko are better than regular-trust me)
Dijon mustard
Olive Oil
Trusty S +P
All you have to do is stir about a 1/3 cup of panko crumbs (adjust according to size of fish) up with some S+P and about a tablespoon of olive oil (or enough to coat the panko nicely) in a small bowl. Next, spread a layer of mustard over the top of the fish which will be nestled in some sort of dish. Put the panko/oil mixture on top of the fish, mush it down in a nice thick, even layer over the fish that is facing up (don't worry about the bottom.) Then put it in a 400 degree oven for however long your particular fish needs to cook. (Could be 10 minutes or 20- depending how thick.) You can check by inserting a knife into fish to see if it's done. The layer of mustard leaves the fish very tender under the panko and has a nice flavor. You can also mix various spices in with the mustard or panko. Experiment! You can also substitute mayonnaise for a different taste and more calories.

Let me know if you try it!

No comments: